The branch was established in 1965 as a non-profit charitable association that aims to offer health and social care to the citizens in al-Bireh and Ramallah (around 300,000 persons), in addition to the residents of remote areas.
Since its establishment, the branch opened medical clinics and offered emergency services through the ambulance cares. The branch was a model in providing emergency services around the clock and played an important role in caring for those affected by the war in 1967, especially the residents of the destroyed villages, such as Yalo, Emwas and Bet Nouba. The branch also played an effective role in the field of ambulance and emergency during the Intifada.
After 1967, the West Bank and Gaza Strip suffered under the occupation and its oppressive measures, especially in the health and social fields. Thus, the branch was pushed to work seriously and offer alternative health and social services to compensate for the serious shortage in these fields.
The branch was able to expand its medical services and improve and upgrade its performance until it set an example in this field; the branch raised the slogan "Health care is a human need and a human right to every individual". Thus, the branch offers its services to all sectors of the society, especially the needy, at nominal fees and for free in many cases, taking into consideration the difficult conditions of the Palestinian people.
Progress in completion of the branch hospital:
* The hospital was established in 1987 and it was licensed in 1991.
* since that time and because of the conditions of the Palestinian people, the branch administration made a commitment to develop and modernize the hospital so that it can meet the medical needs of the local residents, especially people with low income and social cases that are incapable of bearing the high costs of medical treatment.
* The hospital started as a maternity hospital with 15 beds. Later, two additional floors were added and new wards were introduced; the hospital then became a general hospital that included the following departments: internal medicine, general surgery, maternity and obstetrics, care for newly born babies, in addition to technical sections, such as the laboratory, x-ray department, pharmacy, emergency ward, and two operation theaters equipped with the most advanced medical equipment.
* A large number of qualified medical and administrative cadres were recruited in order to cover and meet the needs and services that are offered by the hospital.
* A complete renovation process was conducted on the operationdelivery rooms. Work was completed on expanding the surgery and delivery rooms, thus increasing the number of beds in the delivery ward from 4 to 10 beds. This achieved an increase in number of bed by 60%, thus making the total number of beds in the hospital reach 57 beds.
* The opening of the new pharmacy which was designed according to modern specifications, taking into consideration that it has to be near the emergency ward. The pharmacy works 16 hours a day and provides all kinds of necessary drugs.
* Operation of the new elevator which links the various sections of the hospital. The elevator can take up to ten persons; this had major positive impact on work and on patients.
* Completion of the project to rehabilitate and renovate the entrance of the hospital, the reception area and the administration section and outpatient clinics.
* Rehabilitation of the laboratory section and equipping it with the most advanced machines.
* A modern sterilization device was purchased. An advanced sterilization section was provided in accordance with modern specifications to meet the needs of the hospital in the foreseeable future.
* The provision of accommodation for the resident doctors and nurses, especially during the closures imposed on cities. The housing complex can accommodate 16 beds along with their facilities.
* The organization of several medical lectures that were attended by specialist doctors and nurses and people interested in the field.
* The organizational structure and salary scale were defined and wages of workers were increased.
* A comprehensive computer system was installed for all sections in the hospital, including medical wards and administrative and financial departments.
* An agreement was signed with the Ministry of Health to transfer delivery cases; agreements were also signed with the Military Medical Services and other official parties.
* The laundry section was transferred to a location inside the walls of the PRCS; in the past, it was located on a rented premise. It was agreed to replace the machine with modern washing machines.
* The area of the hospital is around 4,000 square meters to be added to the new building which consists of five floors and a roof.
* There are 175 employees in all wards and sections of the hospital.
* There is a Board of Directors consisting of eleven members who were elected from the General
Services of the hospital:
* Delivery and obstetric surgery
* Internal medicine and surgery
* Intensive care unit for the newly born babies
* Operation theatres with modern equipment
* Laboratory, x-ray, pharmacy and emergency ward around the clock
* Optical center
* Dental clinic
* Physiotherapy center
* Ultra sound rays
* CT scan
* Lithotripsy Center
* Specialized clinics (orthopedic, cardiac ward for children, skin diseases, general surgery, otolaryngology, hearing tests and other areas)
Accomplishments of the branch
It is well known to all citizens and patients who benefit from the services of the PRCS that the branch achieved several accomplishments in the past period, thus having impact on the quality and quantity of the services offered by the branch. The process attracted new medical services that helped in mitigating the heavy burden on the citizens within the framework and principles of the PRCS. The branch has become one of the best branches. The branch depended on its own financial resources and this is due to the wise policies of the branch administration despite the difficult conditions facing the Palestinian people. The following is an overview of the accomplishments of the branch:
* A building of six floors and a roof was purchased and registered in the name of the PRCS. Currently, it is being used in line with the goals of the PRCS and its aspirations. The building was purchased from the personal funds of the PRCS. This building is expected to increase the services offered to the citizens, especially that the branch suffers serious shortage in space that enables it to perform its tasks smoothly.
* The wards of internal medicine, general surgery, pediatrics, and care for newly born babies have been upgraded according to the best medical standards. This contributed to an increase in number of patients and funders to the section. A section for intensive care for adults has been introduced.
* A housing complex for nurses and a hotel wing for the visitors of the PRCS were built. This reduced the expenses spent on renting such accommodation.
* New medical sections were opened, such as dentist clinic, ultrasound x-ray, CT scan, and Lithotripsy and optical clinic, and physiotherapy. All these sections contribute towards the integration of medical services in the hospital and increase in financial resources of the branch.
* Currently, there is a study for the branch to manage Tormos'ayya Medical Center. This project has a strategic dimension for the work of the branch in terms of making use of the available land which is 11 square dunums which can be used for humanitarian purposes to be coordinated with the goals and principles of the PRCS.
* Several fixed and transferable assets were purchased and added to the assets of the branch, including a large electric generator and cars and other medical equipment.
* An organizational structure and salary scale have been defined for the branch based on scientific principles. The professional classifications were taken into consideration when structuring the personnel affairs department; the employees were granted allowances in line with the rise of standard of living. Thus, the salaries at al-Bireh Branch are better than the salaries of employees at the PRCS in general.
* Several scientific and specialized lectures and training courses were organized in more than one field for the employees in order to upgrade the competences of the workers and improve their performance. This contributed to an improved image of the PRCS in the eyes of the community and citizens.
* Number of institutions and associations and official and unofficial parties dealing with the branch were doubled, in addition to the signing of several agreements with the PRCS.
* The Palestinian Health Council certified the hospital as a specialized medical hospital in obstetrics and maternity after it met the set requirements.
Attached: Monthly statistics on the sections and facilities of the branch in the last three years.